This recipe does call for a waffle iron – handy for yummy breakfasts as well! The chicken takes about 20 minutes to cook once prepared, and the waffles take around 15 minutes in total. Keep things warm by placing them on a baking tray in the oven if necessary.
For the Chicken
- 1 x Springfield Free Range or Organic Chicken Breast Fillets (Skinless)
- Salt & Pepper
- 250ml Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 200g Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 400ml Vegetable Oil (or other Oil suitable for frying)
For the Waffles
- 1 Egg
- 125g Plain Flour
- 1/2 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Caster Sugar
- 225 ml Milk
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- Pinch of Salt
For the Tabasco Syrup (this can be made in advance)
- 3 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco (Find the balance that’s right for you!)
Serve the finished dish with a sprinkle of Icing Sugar.
- The cooking time will depend on the size of the chicken pieces. For a shorter fry time, cut each fillet into two or three pieces. Season the chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a bowl, combine the buttermilk and egg and add the chicken pieces. Turn the chicken to make sure every piece is completely coated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Piece by piece, take the chicken from the buttermilk dredge mixture and place it into the dry flour mixture. Repeat this process one more time and the chicken is then ready for frying!
- Heat the oil in a large pan. A tip to know when the oil is ready is by using a wooden skewer or spoon – if you place it into the oil bubbles should just start to form around it. If your oil is smoking, turn down the heat.
- The chicken should take about 10 minutes to fry on each side, place it on some paper towels to soak up excess oil – make sure it isn’t pink in the middle!
- For the waffles, stir together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, caster sugar, and a pinch of salt).
- Add the Egg, Milk, Vegetable Oil, and mix well.
- Pour the desired amount of waffle mixture onto your preheated waffle iron and cook until golden brown (around 10 minutes).