Click on the question below to reveal the answer!
Rearing Chickens at Springfield Poultry
- What is the difference between Organic and Free Range?
- The only difference between our free range and organic poultry at Springfield is the feed the Chickens and Turkeys receive. Our Organic chickens are fed on an organic certified feed, however all our free range and organic birds are reared to the Soil Association standards. The land the birds are reared on is also accredited as Organic by the Soil Association.
- How do we know the difference between Organic and Free Range?
- They’re grown in different fields to ensure that the poultry cannot be mixed up!
- Is the grass and pastures the chickens eat also organic and pesticide free?
- Yes. All of our chickens are grown on pastures that are organic and pesticide free – this is better for the chickens and the environment.
- How do you know whether your chickens are happy?
- Chickens aren’t overly emotional animals in the sense that there’s no obvious way for them to communicate that they’re happy! However there are ways which they can show themselves to be unhappy and we take steps in every part of the process to make sure that none of these are present. For more details click here.
- Do you rear Turkeys all year round?
- Unfortunately we only rear our Turkeys for the Christmas period as we do not see enough demand to make rearing all year possible.
- Are all your products from the UK?
- Springfield Poultry rears 100% British Poultry, all our products are produced in the UK and reared on our Herefordshire farm.
- Where are your chickens slaughtered?
- Our chickens are slaughtered onsite at Springfield Farm always with a registered Vet present.
- I can’t see the cut I’m looking for, can you help?
- Yes no problem we’d be happy to help. Give us a call on 01568 760 270 and let us know what you’re after.
- Do you rear Ducks on the Farm?
- We do not rear the ducks here at Springfield but instead buy them from a company called Creedy Carver. If you would like duck to be included in your order, we ask that you place your order between Wednesday 12pm and Friday 12pm. This would mean your fresh duck would be added to your order for the following week.
Any later than this time we will be unable to guarantee your duck or it might have to be supplied frozen.
- What are Giblets?
- Giblets are the heart, neck and liver of the bird. These do not come supplied with our whole Chickens unless requested however they come as standard with all Ducks & Turkeys.
- What makes white meat white?
- Muscles become ‘red meat’ when the protein myosin absorbs a lot of oxygen. This happens when the muscles are heavily worked. The breast of a flightless chicken is not exercised (despite chicken being free range) and so it remains white.
- How does poultry compare to beef nutritionally?
- Cooked, a trimmed piece of lean beef has 3 times the fat of a tight-meat skinless piece of chicken. Chicken also provides a good source of niacin and protein. Turkey is the leanest of all meats with less than 1 gram of fat and 135 calories per 3.5 ounce serving.
Ordering from Springfield Poultry
- Can I order over the phone?
- We are unable to take card payments over the phone so we encourage you to place most orders using our website. The only orders we can take over the phone is those who are collecting from Springfield and can pay upon collection.
- Why do I have to make my password so secure when signing up?
- Online security is always a top priority for us as more and more business is moving online. Our password protocol ensures that all sensitive data used on our website is secure. If you’re struggling to create a password, use the following as a guide:
– Ensure your password is between 8-10 characters long.
– Use a mixture of capitals, lowercase and special symbols (e.g @#$;!/*).
– Try to use a mixture of letters without making a word.
– Make a note of your password and keep it safe!
- I haven’t received my 15% discount code to use on my first order
- We send out a 15% code to any first time purchasers when you sign up to receive our newsletters. Make sure you’ve entered a valid email address into the sign-up bar at the bottom of this page. Be sure to check your Junk/Spam folder in case the message has been incorrectly flagged. If you have any problems give us a call.
- Are discount codes applied before or after calculating shipping?
- Discount codes are applied before calculating shipping which means that the discounted total needs to be over £69.95.
- If you continue to have problems with any discount code then please call us on 01568 760 270.
- What payment methods do you accept?
- We accept: Cash, card, or online payment.
- How can I expect the product to be packaged?
- We try to vacuum pack all of our products where possible. This is not possible with whole birds and some cuts which contain bones which might pierce the packaging. Products such as our mince and sausages are sealed in fully recyclable trays.
- How will the whole order arrive?
- All of our online orders are sent out in a medium or large cardboard box, which is insulated with honeycomb cardboard panels to keep the products cool in transit. In addition to this we send the order out with ice packs which can keep the product chilled for a minimum of 48 hours from dispatch.
- Are you looking to change your packaging?
- Yes. We make it no secret that we’re always searching for alternative packaging solutions which will primarily reduce the amount of plastic we use. We’ve made great strides recently but there’s always room for improvement! The main issue we find is that non-plastic alternatives are not widely accessible for raw meat packaging, for more details click here.
Collecting from Springfield Farm
- When can I pick up my order from the farm?
- We process everything fresh on a Monday and cannot legally send out the product until it is cooled to the correct temperatures. We allow at least a day for this so the earliest you can pick up your order would be the Wednesday of that week. Please make sure you ring in advance to guarantee that we have what you need and that we’ll have it ready in time.
- Can I pay when I get to you?
- Yes, we accept cash and also have a card machine onsite.
- Where is Springfield Poultry located?
- We’re on the Bromyard Road just outside of Leominster in a small village called Steensbridge. To get our full address following this link to our contact page.
- Which courier service do you use and are they reliable?
- We send our deliveries out with DPD on an overnight courier service which allows your order to arrive early the next morning at your home. All our deliveries sent with DPD are guaranteed to arrive before 12pm which ensures a reliable service.
If for any reason this doesn’t go as smoothly as it sounds, please contact us on 01568 760 270 and Monica will contact DPD and report any issues.
- When will I receive my order?
- Orders placed before midnight Sunday will arrive typically on the Thursday or Friday of the following week. If you require delivery on a different day check our delivery page for more details or contact us to see if it’s possible. DPD will send you an hour timeslot on the morning of your delivery.
- How do I get Free Delivery?
- UK mainland delivery is free for orders £69.95 and over (after any promotions are applied). For orders below £69.95 there will be a delivery charge. Orders between £0 and £44.94 will incur a £15 delivery charge and orders between £44.95 and £69.94 will incur a £8 delivery charge.
- Can I receive my order on a weekend?
- Yes! Saturday deliveries are available at checkout for an additional £5.
- Do you deliver outside of mainland UK?
- Unfortunately we do not, recent changes to Offshore deliveries for perishable goods have been priced extortionately to the point where it’s detrimental to offer this service.
- I’m going to be out when my delivery arrives, can I leave delivery instructions?
- When you place your order you’ll see a special delivery notes text box where you can enter any special notes or safe places to leave your order. You can leave phone numbers to call, flat codes, trusted neighbours etc. DPD will also send tracking information with a link which you can click to leave further instructions.
- Can I have my order Frozen?
- Unfortunately we are currently unable send orders frozen. Our packaging is optimized to keep products chilled during tansit and we would not be able to guarantee that products would not begin to thaw during the warmer months. If you would like us to explore further options for sending frozen please do let us know.