Herefordshire Chicken Sausage and Cider Casserole gives you a taste for Herefordshire with this flavoursome dish, with a Cider Apple twist.
- 1/2 pack of Springfield Chicken Sausages with Sage and Red Onion, sliced
- 1 medium Cox’s apple, cored and sliced thickly into rings (no need to peel)
- Salt and black pepper
- A little oil for frying
- 200g smoked lardons
- 225g small shallots
- 1 heaped teaspoon plain flour
- 375ml strong dry cider
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 rounded teaspoon freshly chopped thyme, plus a few sprigs
- Add the sausages and oil to the casserole dish and brown the sausages well. Once browned evenly, remove them and add the lardons and shallots lightly. Gradually sprinkle in the flour to soak up the juices, then gradually stir in the cider.
- Reintroduce the sausages and add the garlic, bay leaf, fresh thyme and sprigs. Add some freshly milled black pepper and cover as it begins to simmer. Transfer it to the oven for 30 minutes then remove the lid and cook for a further 20–30 minutes.
- Serve with the apple rings, fried in butter until golden, and some mash and greens.
Adapted from deliaonline