Fattoush is a simple chopped salad with a zesty dressing. Originally regarded as a paupers dish as it can make use of leftover pita bread, Fattoush now adorns many Middle-Eastern dinner tables as well as making it over to Europe and the Americas.
In the same style, a Levantine Tabbouleh (or Tabouli) would also be a great accompaniment to our smoked chicken – this is a Bulgar Wheat based dish with herbs to make your taste buds dance.
- 2 x Springfield Free Range Smoked Chicken Breasts
- 2 x Pita Breads
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 x Romaine Lettuce
- 1 x Cucumber
- 5 x Roma Tomatoes
- 6 x Spring Onions
- 5 x Radishes
Lime – Vinaigrette
- Juice of 1 lime
- 75ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
This recipe also calls for something called ‘sumac’ which might be a little difficult to find. It’s a deep red coloured ground spice which packs a lemony-limey tart punch. Where you’re unable to find this, it’s often substituted with lemon or lime zest.
Our smoked chicken breasts are hot-smoked and therefore come cooked! This means that you can either enjoy them cold, or reheat them gently and thoroughly in the oven and enjoy them warm!
- Toast the pita bread in your toaster until it is crisp but not browned.
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan. Break the pita bread into pieces, and place in the heated oil. Fry briefly until browned, tossing frequently. Add salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp of sumac if you have it (if not, add a tsp of lemon/lime zest).
- Remove the pita chips from the heat and place on paper towels to drain.
- Chop the lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, and spring onions into bite size pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine these salads with the radishes (thinly sliced) and chopped parsley.
- To make the lime vinaigrette, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil and spices in a small bowl. Again you can add some sumac or lime zest to this too!
- Dress the salad with the vinaigrette and toss lightly. Finally, add the pita chips, and toss one more time. Transfer to small serving bowls or plates and top with some sliced Smoked Chicken. Enjoy!