Our “nothing but chicken” sausages are a blank canvas for you to do with as you please. Put them on the barbecue, in a hot-dog, tray-baked with some vegetables, fried up for breakfast – or how about this brilliant pasta dish in a skillet from Lisa Lin of Simply Recipes?
1 Packet of Free Range Chicken Sausage
- 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Red Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- A Bunch of Fresh Basil
- A Bunch of Fresh Parsley
- Salt and Pepper
The above is to make a marinara to go in this pasta dish, to save time you can substitute this for a jar a quality passata.
- 250g Dried Penne Pasta
- 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 100g Baby Spinach
- 150g Shredded Mozzarella
- Chopped Parsley to Garnish
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 c.
- Make the marinara sauce (or substitute store-bought sauce): Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened and translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add chopped tomatoes and cook until the sauce starts bubbling at a rapid simmer, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and let the sauce continue slowly simmering for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in chopped parsley, basil and oregano and cook for another minute. Season sauce with salt to your taste. Turn off heat.
- Cook the pasta: Bring a pan of water to boil in a pot. Season with a generous pinch of salt. Once the water boils, add a little swirl of olive oil to the water (this stops pasta from sticking when it cooks) and add the pasta.
- Cook according to the package instructions -1 minute so it’s left slightly aldente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Make the sausage and spinach sauce: Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped sausage and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the meat is cooked through.
- Add your pasta sauce from earlier and heat for a minute. Add spinach and fold it into the sauce. The spinach should start wilting in 30 seconds.
- Bake the pasta: Add pasta to the pan and stir until combined. Top with mozzarella cheese. Put the skillet in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned at the edges.
- Top the pasta with chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.