This isn’t one of those meals that just sounds healthy, there’s a whole bunch of super-foods which make up this nutritional treat. Fresh jewels of pomegranate and fluffy nutty cous cous – not to mention the protein packed chicken breast.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g couscous
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp tagine spice paste (available from Tesco or Marks & Spencer), or 2 tbsp harissa
- 190ml bottle pomegranate juice (not sweetened; we used Pom Wonderful)
- 100g pack pomegranate seeds
- 100g pack toasted flaked almond
- small pack mint, chopped
- Boil the kettle and heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Put the couscous in a bowl with some seasoning and crumble in half the stock cube. Pour boiling water over the couscous to just cover, then cover the bowl with a tea towel/lid and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and fry for a few mins to soften.
- Cut each chicken breast into about 3/4 fillet pieces.
- Push the onion to one side of the pan, add the chicken fillets and brown on all sides.
- Stir in the tagine paste or harissa and the pomegranate juice, then crumble in the rest of the stock cube and season well.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10 mins until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir through the pomegranate seeds, saving a few to scatter over before serving.
- When the cous cous has absorbed the liquid, fluff it up with a fork and stir through the almonds and mint.
- Serve the chicken on the couscous with the sauce spooned over and your reserved pomegranate seeds.
Credits: BBC Good Food – https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pomegranate-chicken-almond-couscous