Fresh and delicious. While Miso paste elevates this sub to a whole other level, it’s certainly not necessary if it’s something you’d have to go and buy especially for this. This recipe makes 4 stuffed subs, enough for 4 people on most days but perhaps 2 very hungry people!
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup (105g) white miso paste
- ½ cup (25g) panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- ¼ cup (90g) honey
- 4 sub rolls, split
- Toasted sesame seeds to serve
- ½ cup (125g) sriracha (or other chilli sauce), plus extra to serve
- 1½ tbs mayonnaise
- ½ red cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/3 bunch each mint and coriander, leaves picked
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken mince, spring onion, ginger, garlic, miso and breadcrumbs. Season. Take heaped tablespoons and roll into balls. Place onto a tray, cover, and chill for 10 minutes.
- For the rainbow slaw, in a small bowl, combine sriracha and mayonnaise. In another bowl, combine cabbage, carrot, snow peas, herbs and chilli (if using). Add half the chilli mayonnaise and combine.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a non-stick frypan over medium-low heat. Cook half the meatballs for 5-7 minutes, turning regularly, until golden and cooked through.
- Add half the honey and cook 1 minute, turning to coat. Transfer to a dish and keep warm. Repeat with remaining oil, meatballs and honey.
- Spread some of the remaining chilli mayonnaise onto the inside of each roll. Divide slaw among rolls, top with meatballs and scatter with sesame seeds. Serve.